“Trinity United Methodist Church’s facilities needed upgrades to make our space more effective for ministry in the 21st century. Church members generously gave and pledged $1.2 million dollars to remodel our church buildings. The Alabama-West Florida United Methodist Development Fund provided the loan that enabled us to complete our remodeling. Terri Turner and the AL-West Florida United Methodist Foundation’s staff guided us through a clear and simple loan process. They have always responded promptly to any of our questions and concerns.”
— Dr. Scott Christopher Hohn, Senior Pastor, Trinity United Methodist Church
Established in 1984, the Development Fund makes loans to churches and agencies in the Alabama-West Florida Conference for refinancing large loans, new church construction, purchasing property, and major renovation projects. The Fund offers low-interest loans for up to $1 million* and pays attractive interest rates to investors in Alabama and West Florida.
The Development Fund accepts investments from individuals, churches, and organizations across the Alabama-West Florida Conference. The Fund pays these investors a rate of interest set each quarter then makes loans to churches, agencies, and missions in the conference.
To start the loan process, fill out this form and contact us at 334-793-6820.
*For loans larger than $1 million, contact us! The Foundation has the ability to negotiate with other sources for larger loans.
Types of loans
- New church construction
- Purchasing property
- Major renovation projects
- Refinancing large loans
- Rates are currently 4.50% (as of January 1, 2023) and are set quarterly by the Board of Directors. After one year, loans rates may be adjusted on the loan anniversary (if new loan rates are different).
Why Borrow from the Development Fund?
- We loan money to churches at rates that are significantly lower than typical commercial rates.
- Loan terms for up to 15 years
- Fixed interest rates for one year
- Competitive rates
- No points or closing costs
- Excellent service provided by the Development Fund Board, which consists of United Methodists with expertise in finance and banking and experienced in complying with Book of Discipline guidelines for building and loan projects
How Churches Can Begin the Loan Process
1. Meet Requirements
Meet Discipline requirements, get approval from the District Buildings and Location Committee, and get approval at a called church conference.
2. Secure Pledges
Conduct a financial canvass by the borrowing congregation, bona fide pledges made, and secure pledges in an amount equal to the total of at least 2 or 3 years of the amortization schedule.
3. 10% of Proposed Project
A church must have a minimum of 10% of the total cost of the proposed project in hand in a separate building fund account at the time the loan is approved.
To get started on a loan, fill out this form and contact us at 334-793-6820.