Our mission as the AWF Foundation is to encourage generosity as a way of life, foster planned giving programs, and manage funds to strengthen the work of Christ’s church.
Part of this mission includes helping United Methodist and historically Methodist individuals, congregations, and organizations accomplish their charitable giving goals. Our Foundation can accept and manage gifts, transfer gifts, and advise individuals and churches on the best types of gifts for them. Giving options are available to create a gift that makes a difference now, pays income, or leaves a legacy by sustaining life-changing ministry for generations to come.
Make a Difference Now
These types of gifts allow you to see the immediate impact your generosity has on your local church or ministry:
• Cash: A quick and simple way to make a gift. You can donate cash, securities, or personal property when making an outright gift.
• Stocks and Bonds: Give your local church or charity a larger gift by directly transferring stocks and bonds. The Foundation can assist with the transfer of these gifts.
• Donor Advised Fund: Donate assets to a donor advised fund or set up a family foundation. This gift allows you to manage all your charitable giving in one place, make annual distribution recommendations, and gives you the option to change which charities you support.
• Real Estate/Personal Property: Donate real estate, securities, or other appreciated assets or sell them at a bargain price.
• IRA Rollover: Reach the yearly RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) with a rollover gift from your IRA to your local church or a charity through a QCD (Qualified Charitable Distribution).
To learn more about gifts that can make a difference now, click here.
Leave a Legacy
By designating your church as a beneficiary, these types of legacy gifts allow you to continue to support your local church or ministry after your death:
• Bequest in a Will: Name your church or a charity as the beneficiary of assets in your will, trust, etc. You maintain control of assets during your life and make the gift after death. Learn more.
• Endowment: Create an endowment/planned giving program as a permanent source of income for your local church or a charity. These funds can support ministry, building expansion/maintenance, create a scholarship fund, etc. Learn more.
• Life Insurance: Name your church or a charity as the owner and beneficiary of a life insurance policy you no longer need. This can be a large gift with little cost to you. Learn more.
• Retirement Plan Assets: Name your church or a charity as the beneficiary of your remaining retirement plan assets after your lifetime. Learn more.
• Retained Life Estate: Give ownership of your residence to your church or a charity but reserve the right to live there for your lifetime. To learn more, email [email protected].
• Revocable Living Trust: Establish a revocable living trust to give assets such as real estate, stocks and bonds, collectibles, vehicles, etc., to your local church or a charity. To learn more, email [email protected].
Gifts that Pay Income
Lifetime gifts benefit both you and your local church or a charity. These types of gifts are established now so you can receive a tax deduction and income payments. The local church or a charity you choose receives the remainder gift at your death:
• Charitable Gift Annuity: Create a permanent transfer of assets through the Foundation to your church or a charity in return for fixed annual payments for life for one or two people.
• Charitable Remainder Unitrust: Create a permanent transfer of assets to a trust that is invested. You or other beneficiaries receive a percentage of the trust assets (valued annually) for life or a term of years.
• Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust: Create a permanent transfer of assets to a trust, and you or other beneficiaries receive fixed annual payments.
• Charitable Lead Trust: Transfer your cash or property to fund a trust that makes gifts to a charity of your choice for a set number of years. Your family or another beneficiary receives the remainder.
To learn more about gifts that pay income, click here.
Your gifts keep on giving and help provide financial security to the local church. Contact the Foundation office at 334-793-6820 or [email protected] for more information about any of these types of gifts or to let us help you identify the best gift options for you and your current situation!