Donating stocks and bonds (often known as appreciated securities) to your church or United Methodist ministry is easy to do and can provide attractive tax benefits. Whether you plan to itemize your charitable contributions, or simply use the standard deduction, as one of our Foundation services, we can assist you with the transfer and gifting of appreciated security donations to your church.
Benefits of Giving Stocks and Bonds
- Avoid capital gains taxes on the sale of appreciated securities and make a larger overall donation
- Ability to deduct the current market value of the appreciated securities from income taxes (up to the overall amount allowed by the IRS)
- Further the mission of your favorite United Methodist church or ministry
How to Make a Gift of Stocks and Bonds
As one of our free services, the Foundation can assist with gifts of stocks and bonds. Once you fill out the securities transfer form and provide it to both your broker and the Foundation, the Foundation will then accept the securities, sell the securities (using the Foundation’s broker), and make the donation to your church or ministry on your behalf.
If you are still considering which ministries to gift stocks and bonds to, consider a Donor Advised Fund, which allows you to take a deduction now and support multiple charities over time.
Steps for the Electronic Transfer of Stocks and Bonds
- Fill out and submit the Securities Transfer Form
- Send a copy of the securities transfer form to your broker and the Foundation office
- Notify your church or ministry about the gift
- The Foundation will provide you with a gift receipt of your charitable donation for tax purposes
If you would like to make a gift of stocks and bonds (appreciated securities) to your church, please fill out our securities transfer form. If you have any questions about these or other gift types, please feel free to contact the Foundation office at 334-793-6820 or email us at [email protected].